The Balance of Power, Forgotten Realms
The World of Toril
The Forgotten Realms Player’s Guide has much information about the world of Toril, here is a digest of “Ten Important Facts” (FRPG pg. 8)
- About 100 years has passed in the world since the last version of Forgotten Realms – This is not as important to our campaign since we didn’t play any previous versions, but it has impact on the history of the world.
- The Spellplague has drastically altered the Cosmos – In The Year of Blue Fire (1385 DR) a cataclysm known as the Spellplague broke out in Toril, which consisted of unfettered wild magic. This changed both the geography and peoples of Toril.
- Portions of Abeir have fused with Toril – Toril has a sister world in the Feywild called Abeir, long-forgotten in the current world until recently, when the Spellplague caused an inter-planar collision of the worlds (which also transferred some portions of Abeir in Toril and vice-versa).
- The number of gods has dropped markedly – The Spellplague was so powerful, it affected even the gods. Some have died or changed, others demoted or are suspiciously absent.
- The Spellplague left its mark on creatures – Some creatures who were affected by the Spellplague were afflicated with a mark on their body called a “spellscar.” Spellscared individulals sometimes develop unique abilities.
- Huge Underdark collapses have changed the surface of Faerun – The Underdark is a vast underground world, just below the surface of Toril, home to some of the most fantastic and horrifying sights in the realm. The land shifted during the Spellplague, such that the Underdark is more accessible and there are a few huge holes where the earth opens up to the Underdark.
- Thay has become a terrible undead threat – A mad ruler named Szass Tam has risen to power and corrupted the kingdom known as Thay
- The ancient empire of Netheril has been restored – The Twelve Princes of Shade rule from the Shade Enclave, making Netheril a threat to all northern Faerun.
- Ancient elven lineages have returned to Faerun – Eladrin, or “high elves,” have inhabited the world from the Feywild. Elves and eladrin live united, the distinction between races is loose.
- Most portals no longer work – Toril used to be dotted with portals of transportation, but the breaking of the Weave destroyed the connections. Most portals remain non- or malfunctional.